How to be awesome. I wish I could give you and myself a five step program for being super f***ing awesome, but unfortunately this is only learned through major trial and error as we go along this thing called life. Here are the five things that I’ve been desperately trying to do to be more awesome on a day-to-day basis:
1) Surround yourself with amazing, influential, intelligent, pure, loving, genuine, authentic people. There’s 7.125 billion people in this world. Find the best and greatest minds and be good to them. Treat them with love, kindness and respect. Cherish loyalty and authenticity. What you put out, you’ll get back.
2) Work like a dog and play like a dog too. Have you ever seen a working dog in the airport (check out this awesome video!) or a herding dog round up sheep (here is a video of a monkey riding a border collie that’s rounding up sheep, no joke)? It’s an amazing display of focused determination and relentless drive. They won’t quit till you do and they’re working because they’re obsessed and they think it’s fun. They love working as a team and they do it with joy. Dogs don’t work from 9 to 5, they will work and play 24/7 when given the chance. Work all weekend, work for 14 hours straight, play on a random Tuesday morning, and then while you’re playing, work out all of the big decisions you need to make. Then go back to work again and be a dog on a bone.
3) Simplify and streamline not only your business, but also your daily personal life. Outsource tasks that you can afford to have others do for you to make more time for income-generating productivity and even more importantly, quality time with your family. Housecleaning and cooking easily take up 25% of your 24 hours. Using GrubHub, Plated or Fresh.ly can save you a ton of time in the kitchen. Have a really busy day? Use Handlr to find a dog walker, babysitter, house cleaner, personal chef, etc. that your friends and neighbors use. It’s a tiny personal assistant that lives in your pocket. Book ’em, track ’em, pay ’em. Get your life handled in a jiffy!
4) Combine activities and get up earlier. Striving to be f***ing awesome all the time can be tricky. Keep your phone/alarm on the other side of your room so that you have to get out of bed (I have yet to do this, but I hear it really works, which is probably why I have not done it yet). Schedule fitness classes early in the morning to force yourself to get up and get moving. Combine social time with workout time to free up hours in your day. Go for a hike to walk and talk, or book a tennis workout on Handlr and invite a friend to join you. You’ll kill two pounds with one stone. Or however, that saying goes.
5) Quit your complaining, learn from your mistakes and hustle. No one likes a Debbie Downer and obsessing over the would’ve, should’ves, and could’ves will only keep you stuck in an un-awesome phase. Admit when you make a mistake, learn from it and move on. Learning how to be awesome takes a life-time of messing sh** up. The point is to never give up and always hustle until you’ve figured out a better way to do it. In the wise words of Thomas Edison, “I have not failed, I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Just keep working until you get it right.
5.5) Don’t swear so much. Watch your language! I’m ok with saying words like “f***” and “sh**”, but swear words that I try to eliminate from my vocabulary are as follows: “I can’t”, “I hate”, “It’s scary”, “I’m scared, “I’m stressed”, “I’m not good enough”. By learning not to say these words, it changes your mindset. Instead say words like, “I can be f***ing awesome!”, “If they can do it, I can do it”, “Handle it”, “I’ve got this handled”, and “I can learn anything and make s*** happen”.
I’d love to hear your tips and tricks for living an awesome life! This lists needs to be 100 bullet points long if not a 1,000. Isn’t life amazing?
And how crazy cute is this photo? These are my furry coworkers. They’re professionals when it comes to looking adorable at all times.